Thursday, October 8, 2009

Though I was born an orphan

A New Hymn Concerning Spiritual and Physical Adoption by Eric Schumacher

Though I was born an orphan,
Abandoned and alone,
Enslaved and bound in darkness,
Without a hope or home,
The God of grace and mercy
From his eternal throne
Ordained to be my Father,
To claim me as his own.

That I might be adopted
The Father sent his Son
To live in full obedience
And die for all I’ve done.
Now through his resurrection,
Through faith, with him I’m one.
A member of his household,
I am an heir, a son.

To soothe my fearful spirit
The Spirit from on high
Was sent to be a witness
That “Father!” I might cry.
O How I love this Father!
I’m never left alone.
For he comes to dwell with me
Until he calls me home.

If I have this adoption,
I cannot close my home
To widows and to orphans,
Abandoned and alone.
Lord, fill me with compassion
To love the fatherless,
That I might show the nations
How great my Father is!

Simply awesome! Thanks Eric!

You can read Eric's post about the new hymn here.

1 comment:

Peter and Nancy said...

I just forwarded the link to my husband, who is a worship leader. Beautiful!
-- Nancy